Malaysia has one of the world’s strictest forms of media censorship, internet service provider Maxis and Unifi has implemented internet filtering to block 6,640 websites since 2008. Once you are trying to access the blocked sites and you will see the blocking message as image below:
Sometime it will display the notification message from MCMC(Malaysian Communication and Multimedia Commission)
This kind of blocking method is named as DNS blocking, actually it is very easy to bypass it with just change DNS server address from your computer. Once you update your computer DNS address to Google DNS which 22.214.171.124 and you will able to browse the blocked sites after flushed DNS. If you are using Windows 7 or version above, it will still not work if you only pointed the computer DNS to Google DNS. Because ISP has enabled IPv6 for DNS blocking and Windows 7 & above have already enabled IPv6 by default, that’s the reason why update DNS to 126.96.36.199 is not able to bypass anymore. If you are still not able to access those blocked sites, please follow the instruction below to configure DNS and disabled IPv6.
How to configure Google DNS and disable IPv6 for your computer?
- Open command prompt and type in nslookup WEB ADDRESS OF BLOCKED SITE (Example, nslookup tabunginsider.blogspot.my) > Press Enter button and check the result:
As what you can see, tabunginsider.blogspot.my has been resolved to maxisgateway.lan which Maxis’s internet filtering host and it was using IPv4 and IPv6 address.
- Now, click to open Control Panel > Select Network and Sharing Center > Select Change Adapter Setting (Refer image)
- Right click Ethernet icon > Select Properties
- Select Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) and click Properties.
- Select Use the following DNS Server addresses: and fill in Google DNS with follow image below, then click OK.
- Now select and uncheck Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6) *This part is important, make sure you did uncheck it. Once done, just click Close.
- Open command prompt again and type ipconfig /flushdns and press Enter.
- Then type in nslookup tabunginsider.blogspot.my and press Enter. Now you can see the different and it is not pointing to Maxis anymore.
- After you completed all the steps above and it means you already changed DNS and disabled IPv6 for your computer. You might try to browse blocked sites and see the miracle.
If you guys have any issue or inquiry, please leave me an comment or drop me an email. Thank you.