If you are using Android TV and having difficulty to install apps into it, then you might need to read through this article. I will guide you how to sideload android apps on your Android TV. Play Store will only available with compatible apps for Android TV, thus you won’t find other apps like what you did on your Android mobile phone.
What is sideload
Sideload mean you will install apps from other sources instead of Play store. Normally if you want to install apps then you will just go to Play store, search and install it. As for this case, you will need to download the APK file and install it. This is called sideload.
Risk of sideloading apps
Once you tried to sideload apps, it will prompt some security message. This is because of this kind of apps are from other sources instead of approved and reviewed by Play store, this might cause of a safety factor. But I think Android TV is just for my entertainment, therefore I think it is OK for me.
How to sideload apps on Android TV
I’m using Mibox 3 International version to create the following screenshot guideline, Mibox 3 build with Android TV 6.0, Quad-core Processor, 4K HDR Support, WiFi/Dolby/DTS RAM 2GB, ROM 8GB with Bluetooth, its selling price is only $83.99 on Amazon. Click here to get one home today
- Download and install ES File Explorer, click here to download through Play Store
- Download the APK file and transferred to USB drive, then plug it into Android TV box
- Launch ES File Explorer and install the APK file
- After installation completed, you might unable to find the installed Apps on your main menu. Thus, you will need to install Sideload Launcher on Android TV. You can find Sideload Launcher on Play Store.
Remember to enable Unknown Sources setting
- Go to Settings > Security & Restrictions
- Toggle the “Unknown Sources” setting to on
- Install ES File Explorer from the Play Store
- Use ES File Explorer to sideload APK files
I hope you guys will understand my guideline above. If you have any question, you are welcome to leave your comment below. If you wish to discuss with us more about Android TV, you are welcome to join our Facebook Group, click here to join our group